• Welcome to Keepers of Fortitude - Saryrn / Bertoxxulous.

I hate Downloads

Started by Reyburn, January 16, 2004, 09:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reyburn

Well Last nights download has truly Effed up my computer.  I can no longer access any of the servers.  I keep getting eqgame.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows.  Please restart eq.  

so far none of my attemps at fixing has worked.

Delete eqgame.exe and reload through patcher........Failed
Uninstall eq from computer reload..............................Failed
Reload Video drivers...................................................Failed
Email EQ support........................................................Pending
Online EQ support (email more files to eqtech)..........Pending

This bites, hope youhave fun raiding, cause if I can't log on there is a pitcher or 2 of beer calling my name.

Ops sys Window 2000 Pro

Standard UI  got tired of updating custom u/i all the time
Semi Retired until I move some where I can get intenet access.

Reyburn       65 Monk
Mystwyrd     63 Druid
Syion            52 Bard
Grayfalcan    44 Ranger
Zayburn       24 Cleric

Soulstar

what version of windows you running?
Soulstar Loneshadow
Scaled Nightmare of the Keepers of Fortitude
My passion is like a volcano, waiting to erupt.

Leiyah

Do you use a custom UI?  I had the same error and after many stressful hours found out the download somehow affected my custom UI even tho there weren't any changes to UI files during the download.  Only fix that allowed me to log in without windows shutting EQ down was to completely delete the custom UI file off my computer forcing my toon to load with default UI.

Just for fun I reinstalled and reloaded the same custom UI a few days after that and I've not encountered any problems since then.

Just fyi.  I don't know if it will work at all or if it has anything to do with it but just sharing my experience there =)

GL hun -- I know too well how shitty it is when that happens. =(

Yampus

I had similar problems. If you look in your eq folder towards the end there is a file called UIErrors. If there is a problem with your custom UI it will show up there. What I did was delete the custom UI folder from the UIfolders, or where-ever your UI loads from, and reinstalled the files fresh. So far havent had any problems. If you change the line that reads UISkin=*yourUI* to read UISkin=default, in the file marked UI_*Yourtoonname*_saryrn, this will use the main default when you start up EQ next time.

This is what mine looks like partially
[Main]
UISkin=Celtic
GlobalFadeToAlpha=128
GlobalAlpha=166
ContextMenus=1
UseTellWindows=0
Yampus Bonechaser
Lvl 14 Mage Summoner lvl 8 Artisan
"He who controls the Bugs controls....... well, bugs."

Laiynla

OK first,  Yampus I dig your avatar!!!

Secondly, I have no idea how to fix any computer dilemma,  but I'm sorry you're facing the eighth layer of EQ hell, Rey :(

/BIG HUG

that's about all I'm good for in this situation....

hmmm....

/HUGS rey's computer

Check it now :p
"I drank what?"  ** Socrates**

Reyburn

Current Update, Sony EQtech support went home for the 3 day weekend without fixing the problem.  

Can anyone go throw a burning paper bag full of dog sh_t on their front door, so they have to stomp in dog crap to put it out.   They deserve to carry that smell around with them for days.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Reyburn       65 Monk
Mystwyrd     63 Druid
Syion            52 Bard
Grayfalcan    44 Ranger
Zayburn       24 Cleric

Reyburn

Next Update

got an email telling me to delete a bunch of files....
eqgame.exe
eqclient.ini
eqgfz_dx8.dll
eqmail.dll
Userdata folder
UIfile folder

well none of those fixed the problem

Did the online tech support help again. Got no help just some instructions on how to completely uninstall eq for a reload.

So i did that, i even deleted all the LOY downloads...bleh... and all the folders....there should not have been one eq file left on my pc.   Reloaded everything... still doesn't work.  

Took 30 min to download all the LOY files back.  Damn thing still doesnt work.  I am starting to be afraid that i am going to have to wipe my harddrive and reinstall windows.  If i have to do that, i am going back to Win 98 so if it still doesnt work I can play my old video games.

Reyburn       65 Monk
Mystwyrd     63 Druid
Syion            52 Bard
Grayfalcan    44 Ranger
Zayburn       24 Cleric

Leiyah

/hug.  I had to wipe my HD and completely reformat tonight likewise.

I've heard (dunno if it is true) that even if you delete EQ/EQ files that they are saved in a backup folder somehow so that deleting them actually isn't fully deleting the stuff off your comp.  I dunno.  Only times I've had to reinstall are on full system reformats.

Jimjediwan

Often times removing and reinstalling wont work, due to the settings that are saved in the registry. It is possible the registry became corrupt.
  At DOS prompt, type "regedit" . Navigate to HK Local machine, software, and delete the Sony online folders. then reinstall EQ.

Reyburn

Woot Finally I am operational again.  Only took 5 EQ uninstalls, and reloads.  2 Hardrive formats and system reloads.  And then i find out that all i needed to do was reload the latest version of DirectX, the version of DirectX on the Velious CD wont work with the current version of hte software.

So word to the wise, if your eq won't work, make sure you update your video drivers and make sure you have the latest DirectX.

Reyburn       65 Monk
Mystwyrd     63 Druid
Syion            52 Bard
Grayfalcan    44 Ranger
Zayburn       24 Cleric

Leiyah

Glad you're back Rey -- sounds like you've been having FUN!  /snicker