• Welcome to Keepers of Fortitude - Saryrn / Bertoxxulous.

Today

Started by Superfly, September 07, 2003, 04:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unoshato

I Don't watch sports on Tv.  If my TV is on it must be friday saturday or sunday night and britcom's must be on otherwise i dont bother watching tv at all.  After I quite drinking 8 years ago i discovered something about myself.  Watching sports on TV (yes any sports) bores me.  I find it boring to sit on my couch and watch guys who make millions of dollars fight over a piece of leather.  
I find the announcers of these events stupid and I would happily AXE-Murder them and their whole families.  I hate when something crucial is happening on the field and these tardo announcers are telling us that Joe bob down there number 54 well his grandma makes awesome cookies.. I SO DONT CARE.
The average telecast of an american football game is 4 hours.  4 hours of your life.  I learned something about myself once i got sober.  My life did not change in any way state or form if my fav hockey or football team won or lost.  My life did not end if the Chiefs lost to the Bronco's, The world did not end and the Sky did not fall.  But what did happen was I found previously unused hours and hours of my life on the weekends and monday night with which i could now write and game and have fun.  See i figure sitting on my ass watching other people do things whilst i lay about doin jack all was a massive waste of my time.  and that is all we have in this life is our time here.  does my team winning a football game better my life in any way?? no not really.  Do i accomplish anything at all towards furthering my goals and dreams by watching football for 8 hours on saturday 8 hours on sunday and 4 more hours on monday?  NO.  Do i feel sorry for all the hours of my life i wasted sitting in front of the TV accomplishing nothing knowing those are hours and hours of my life i WILL never get back.  NO.
At least when your playing a game, like eq or whatever.  Your PLAYING your doin something your not mindlessly listening to Madden harp about someone's blocking being so strong he could push over a bus or some stupid crap. and NO COMMERCIALS at all in EQ.. well except the frigging auction channel but i turn that off on all my characters since i dont like commercials.

P.S. btw We are friends Axe and your a really kewl guy but I wont go back to watching sports again, I have found the world away from mindlessly watching others do things to be elightening and fun.. sorry bro. but you have fun blowing off your life and doin nothing k. :eek:

I was once told I was as blunt as a Rusty spoon... deal with it :P

Unoshato, Kudaku

Lourdos

I like to watch the Olympics.

Paragraphs and capital letters ROOL.

That is all. :D

Lourdos
Misong

I haven't had this much fun since the rats ate my babysitter...

Nizelar

I especially like the /rant about watching TV is a waste of your life...P. What the hell is EQ? i mean seriously if a 3 or 4 hour once or twice on the weekend is a waste of part of your life what is 6,8,10 hours of EQ almost everyday then? Anyway im a big east fan and very curious what the actual outcome will be next year with them since Miami and company are moving to the ACC. And the best conference stat wise is without a doubt SEC. One other team im keeping an eye on is Marshall that small school about an hour from me that i spent 4 years of my life at. They did an awesome job agianst Tennessee saturday and I dont see anyone else competing against them the rest of the year..........
Nizelar Koolcast
Wizards were made to dish it out but NEVER take it........

Nytehunter

i was to busy working / sleeping  to do watch foosball  or  even play much  eq really  that having been said i think ill retire to my coffin now

Never fear, Nytehunter is here!

Artorious

The same rant of "you're blowing x number of hours in your life doing that meaningless something" could be made against just about everything.  Just in the last year or so I've heard that argument against eq (and video games in general for that matter), work, sports, partying... it's a long list.  Point is, if you are bored with something or you've decided you don't enjoy something anymore then move on.  Don't come back and berate those who are still enjoying it.  Personally, I used to watch a ton of TV.  But in the last several years I've hardly watched TV at all.  It's the same boring crap over and over and over and over and over.  New cast, new director, new writer, new name, same garbage.  Video games are fast approaching this state.  The games are the same; they just repaint the graphics and add a twist to it.  MMORPG's like EQ are the latest somewhat original thing that's happened in gaming.  But that's my opinion and I'm not going to stand on a soapbox and point a finger at those who do enjoy it and accuse them of wasting their time.  If you like it, then enjoy it.

As far as mindless and not thinking goes, I played sports in high school and still have an interest in following what's going on.  I agree that announcers have gotten lame in the last 10 years.  It's part of the whole marketing thing currently ruining sports.  That's a different rant.  I miss the old school announcers who called the game instead of trying to get inside the heads of players.  Hell, most of the time the player wasn't thinking at all.  He was simply reacting to the play.

Hmmm, there was a point to be made somewhere but I lost it...

Anyway, Big 12 is always best? Whatever!  They haven't even been the Big 12 for more than 10 years.  The Big 8 was always Nebraska, OU, and sometimes Colorado and a pack of pushovers to pad the schedule.  Yeah, the Big 12 has been on top in the last few years, but Texas and Oklahoma only recently got back into the pack at the top.  The rest of the Texas bunch didn't really add anything to the Big 8.  Nebraska has slipped several notches in the last few years and Colorado hasn't been the same without Neuhiesal (I can never spell his name right).  K-state is living on borrowed time with their upper class juco teams.  I can even remember when old school Big 8 people were talking like adding the SWC relics was a bad idea and having a championship game was a mistake because it could potentially kept their one good team (Nebraska at the time) from playing for the national title.  But hey, what do I know; I just wear my crimson colored glasses and smile ;).
Artorious Rex
Lord Protector of Mithaniel Marr

Ryverwind
Elder of The Tribunal

unoshato

playing eq is actualy participating in something most folks play it as an escape from the humdrum of life and I personally play it so I can murder without the jail time :P

Again I stand by my statement sitting and watching sports on TV is a waste of my time. No matter how much I would yell at the screen and no matter what happened I could not make madden shut up and I could not make the ref's change stupid calls and penalty's.  And again it had no effect on my life whatsoever if some team I liked won or lost a game.  Eq on the other hand is something a person can participate in and "gasp" have fun doin.

Now I know this must seem strange to you guys who do in fact enjoy thinking that sitting and watching the TV and esp watching sports on TV is a fun and life enriching experience but trust me, try reading a book.  You get the same life-enrichment minus the commercials and you might actually learn something.  

Knowing who has the most rushing yards or Hat-tricks is a waste of space in the brain.  How many times has your knowledge of sports stats actually done more the impress someone with less information? has it ever won you money? has the knowledge of sports statistics ever bettered the world? no.  

Has organized Society placed such a value upon vegitating for hours each week in front of the tube that life, happiness, and personal satifaction have now come to be measured in terms of your sports trivia knowledge? If so then I assure you I am the dumbest, most unelightened man who ever walked this earth.  But most of you knew that already.  

To me who won last weeks Game is as irrelivant to my day to day life as the average wheat crop yeilds in Spain in the year 1124.  It does not effect me as a person it does not effect the world around me (except stadium highway traffic jams and the occasion RIOT on the news when some team has lost.) and it most certainly does not matter one whiff to me if or if not some team won or lost.  Because I happen to not care, I found better uses for my time and much better information to clog my brain up with.  It's called books you should look into it sometime. Might change your life.

P.S. art .. your reply came in while i was typing this one. I was not in fact berating folks in general I was belittling Axe because he asked me (see top of post) to stop playing eq and go watch TV.  Which is something i find a stupid waste of my time and do it as little as possible.  Yes eq is a waste of time sometimes as well, but alot of times I actually have fun playing it and I enjoy meeting and hanging out with folks all over the world.  personally i find that particiapating in a game, Like eq is miles from sitting and mindlessly watching the game on tv but that is my opinion.

Unoshato, Kudaku

Leiyah

IMO EQ > TV.  Few basic reasons why.  

1.  Tv is not really interactive.  TV won't hug you back =)
2.  EQ is cheaper $$ than cable
3.  I know this is a long shot and will probably get eaten up and spit out but....I really think people learn some of life lessons in EQ (in some basic form).  Forces you to work together to accomplish some common goal, figure out strategies and customize standards for your individual needs, team work, making goals for yourself, learning to get along with others with different views and backgrounds, learning value of good communication skills, leadership skills, etc.

Fadanat Thunderstorm

as the average wheat crop yeilds in Spain in the year 1124

That would be 3.4 bushles per yard

FAD

I really think people learn some of life lessons in EQ (in some basic form). Forces you to work together to accomplish some common goal, figure out strategies and customize standards for your individual needs, team work, making goals for yourself, learning to get along with others with different views and backgrounds, learning value of good communication skills, leadership skills, etc.
________________________________________________-

This is what I learned from EQ....

Mindy is the girl that shall never leave my heart.

If you care for someone then express yourself to them before you lose them.

If you find a person that you would give your life for keep them they will bring you happiness.

Follow what your heart says it speaks what is known as the truth. Believe in it or it can hurt you later on.

"Tell me if that doesn't rot your brain more than sports or television"?   Enough said I WIN THE ARGUEMENT
Wine is the drink that shall never leave my heart.

If you care for wine then express yourself to it before you lose your corkscrew.

If you find a bottle of wine that you would give your life for keep it for it will bring you happiness.

Follow what your bartender says he speaks what is known as the truth. Believe in wine or it can hurt you later on.

Fadanat Thunderstorm

PAXIL ANYONE?  PROZAC?

FAD
Wine is the drink that shall never leave my heart.

If you care for wine then express yourself to it before you lose your corkscrew.

If you find a bottle of wine that you would give your life for keep it for it will bring you happiness.

Follow what your bartender says he speaks what is known as the truth. Believe in wine or it can hurt you later on.

Artorious

/em bites his fingers off to refrain from wholesale flaming the forum

Yeah, I'll grant you that the experience of doing something online with people from all over the world is somewhat better than being by yourself watching a game on TV.  I actually have season tickets and going to a game with 85,000 other people is a completely different scenario than watching it on TV.  

There is a whiff of blind hypocrisy there that I'm just going to let go.  I admit I am very passionate about football.  They don't call it a religion down here for nothing.  And I take it personally when someone acts like they are taking the high road by belittling a something I enjoy (on TV or in person) and calling it irrelevant.  

That being said, I'm walking away from this thread before my blood pressure pops a vein.
Artorious Rex
Lord Protector of Mithaniel Marr

Ryverwind
Elder of The Tribunal

Nytehunter

where do you people find time for all this stuff. . .. ? i bearly have time to even play eq?     i gotta get a cooler job.  

oooh and if you pop a vein can i watch??

Never fear, Nytehunter is here!

Nizelar

/Agree EQ is far more entertaining then TV to me also. My point is that as far as life goes both are a waste of time. And I read at least a book a week which was instilled in me at a very early age.... What type of books do you read Uno?
Nizelar Koolcast
Wizards were made to dish it out but NEVER take it........

unoshato

I read horror,  mystery, fantasy, sci-fi, and history mostly...with the occasional biography thrown in.. and not nessicarily in that order.

Unoshato, Kudaku

unoshato

because art you are much more in the norm bro.  folks here in dallas belittle and make fun of me because i Choose to read or game online rather then veg out with john madden watching football and my lack of sports knowledge to them is a critical hit upon my manhood and my virility and apparantly because i dont mindlessly sit there watch other people fight over a piece of leather for four hours at a time i am wierd.  so there ya go. dont get all into an uproar and most certaily dont take this as a flame because as far as most folks are concerned football is more real to them then books or games and much more relevant to them then anything to be learned from games friends from around the world and most esp not from books.  :cool:

<~~~ weird and proud of it.!~

p.s. gonna PM that to art since he says he wont read this thread anymore =)

Unoshato, Kudaku

Legolyn

Trust Uno to derail my thread about football discussion.  Just to have fun with the point since I am bored anyway this morning.  I read at least one book a week, I can quote Nitchzke (spelling most likely) and Socrates, I can do advanced mathmatics and yes I am a huge sports fan.  I have owned season tickets to every sports team in this market for as long as I can remember earning money.  Why?  Because it's something I enjoy.

Who gives a rats ass what you choose to do with your weekend.  If you enjoy EQ, play it.  If you prefer watching football games, do that.  Calling each other losers and life wasters is ridiculous and quite frankly I'm really sad that this post, like so many others degenerated into name calling.
Elder Legolyn Stormryder
White Cotton Bunny Rabbit of Daylight

Naked pics of me at this link

Venerable Rashkae
Feral Lord

My Bestial Side