• Welcome to Keepers of Fortitude - Saryrn / Bertoxxulous.

Things to think about.

Started by Celllburn, January 15, 2004, 06:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celllburn

Continued from leiyahs last post,decided to create a new thread because it was kind of off the subject. A new subject =p.

Yes, smiles are beautiful and contagous. I like to make people smile :D . Which reminds me, one of the smilies is a frown, etc. How would some of those be considered a smile. They should generalize those as expressions.Strange, how we follow the traditional language, rather then the proper way to say things. Like, "hey guys"...people are so used to be called that, that it becomes normal as meaning "everyone". But it really doesn't, it just means men, what if somone came in and said "hey ladies"? Also, why do we say I missed you. Doesn't everyone know that missed means "to fail to see,hear, hit ;to notice or feel of abscense or loss of". I noticed it when watching a tv series. Hercules infact, he truly loved this girl, married her etc., the gods got her killed. He buried her and said "I won't miss you". Then it hit me as I realized it. I won't miss you = I won't forget(fail to notice, see, hear etc. etc.) you. That is the proper way to say it. But society somehow got used to I missed you ( maybe because it flows better? ), so it became the traditional way...even though its not proper at all. Things need to change ugh, change is always good. Sorry for the length, I need to start a journal.....I am going to depart, sleep well and goodnight.

Laiynla

"Miss also means 'to notice or feel the absence of'. " I miss you is grammatically correct. I notice your absence and I feel it = I miss you. Otherwise youre talking about hurling things at an ex-wife or -husband. hehehee

And don't get the feminists going on the "guys" thing.  Just let sleeping dogs lie.  There are so many idiotic arguments about random words that it makes me nauseous.  Like that poor man who told his class what the word "niggardly" meant and then got suspended from teaching on the basis of being prejudiced.....the word niggardly is a derivitive of a word used in Germany (I believe) in the 16th century ...where they had never seen a black person before.. It has nothing to do with it, it just sounds like it.  

Or in Legally Blonde,  how the chick has issues with  the word semester, inferring that it was indicative of male attributes (to be gentle about wording it). Semester refers  to a German word, semistris,  which means half-yearly, which in turn was taken from two words that meant Six and Month (cant remember what they were, sorry).  Again, nothing to do with prejudice against females,  everything to do with German lol.

I say the big problem isn't word usage nowadays, it's the fact that people cant see past what they want to yell about to see the actual beauty of the English language.  

*sigh*

Sorry,  I'm an English loving person who has an unholy fascination with words......now you know better then to get me started  lol
:rolleyes:
"I drank what?"  ** Socrates**

Leiyah

Cell did you have alot of that bathtub beer??  /wink.

Celllburn

Actually the definition is screwed up, "I miss you" shouldn't mean "to notice the absence or loss of", the definition contradicts itself...it also says to fail to obtain. But logically, to miss means to fail to do what should have been done...and we don''t always notice. And English is the most spoiled language of all the languages. And people use  the wrong sayings for things because they are born with the traditional methods of society and don't realize the proper way. We are blinded by society so they can hope we all stay in our little wholes with our own lives and everything goes the way they want it( The government and those higher etc etc). Like with all the lower and middle class people, alot of those people fill in the majority of the jobs, construction, fast food restuarants,garbage men...you know all the dirty work. They rely on people not getting an education and failing or finding an easy job to live a average to below average life. It wouldn't be balanced if everyone wanted to be an a scientist, or an astronaut ( all those dreams and high-end goals). The english language has been altered so many times through the centuries( from shakespearian with all their beautiful words expressing everything so well, to now .....grammatical errors, slang, and the word "fuck" that can describe almost anything). It is probably the least consistant one. Its more universal, thats why it changed so much,but since its so popular I use it. But there are many other languages more beautiful then english.

Don't get me started =p.

Celllburn

And no I didn't leiyah, I prefer wine actually  ;).

Leiyah

Really?  You should see my other post about new wines Walmart is going to be carrying.  I've developed quite a liking to Bacaradi :D

Celllburn

I had some bacardi before, its not bad...especially when mixed. But I really prefer wine I guess. The whole romance and love involved with it. I guess that just makes it taste a whole lot better.

Radx

but its alcohol. Me and Mindy's drink of love is good ol Pepsi. :D
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=631304
Baron Radx Eternalblue
65th Overlord

Underneath my goofy and weirdness is a guy who loves and cares for the girls with all his heart.

Leiyah

ugh carbonated/caffinated drinks like Pepsi and Coke and Dr. Pepper etc make me oh so sick it's unreal.....:(

Laiynla

All languages are beautiful in their pure form.  Even French and Italian have been perverted by slang and ill usage.  They just haven't gotten to the ebonics, Snoop Dogg lingo quite yet.  
The only pure language left is Latin, and, sadly, thats because nobody knows it anymore.
The word Miss is dated back to Old English, before the 12th century,  and has a total of 10 meanings.  There is no logic to words, unless you're talking about scientific terminology, in which case each root word has it's own meaning combined to define and describe a different concept.

Want to have some word fun?  Take this one apart and see if you can figure out what it means:

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcaniconiosis

It's one of the fun scientific terms that I've found, and each root combines to describe what it means quite well.
"I drank what?"  ** Socrates**

Leiyah

LOL it's a lung disease if I remember correctly.

But Laiy if you're looking to move anywhere -- might I suggest moving to the nice little village  Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales?

Radx

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcaniconiosis

Pneumono Ultra microscopic silico volcaniconosis

what in the hell does that mean u got me stumped cant ifnd in anywhere.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=631304
Baron Radx Eternalblue
65th Overlord

Underneath my goofy and weirdness is a guy who loves and cares for the girls with all his heart.

Leiyah

It breaks down about twice as much as that Radx -- keep dividing!

Celllburn

You can logically use the words in your way to express how you feel.Logic is in words, otherwise there would be no reason to use them at all, if we couldn't explain anything. They are the ways to communicate about how we feel and do things.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcaniconiosis is a diseased condition - caused by volcanic dust or its particles in compressed air so it is extremely small, which will give you chronic lung disease.

Celllburn

And leiyah can I replace that picture, It's cute and all but I can draw one 10 times better.